Adobe Flash Player is a free software plug-in used by web browsers to view multimedia, execute rich Internet applications, and stream video on your Mac.
Adobe Flash Player is the most popular multimedia player plug-in available. However, recently there have been security concerns which has threatened its popularity as users seek safer alternative solutions. Opera, Firefox and Chrome contain built-in versions of Flash running in sandbox mode. This method is safer than running Flash as a plugin. However, currently the reality is that you still may need the Adobe Flash Player on your Mac because many websites will not work well if you uninstall it. Here I’ll show you how to install Adobe Flash Player and how to set it up correctly.
How to install Adobe Flash Player on your Mac.
Adobe is changing the world through digital experiences. We help our customers create, deliver and optimize content and applications. Full list of the top Browsers apps that are similar to Adobe Flash Player, including Adblock Plus for Safari, ClickToPlugin, Translate Safari Extension, Adobe SVG Viewer (OS X), ClickToFlash. How to install Flash on your Mac safely. If Flash is not installed, which is by default on all new Macs, here’s a step-by-step guide to install it safely. Visit the Adobe Flash Player page. Click the Download now button. The installer will download to your computer. If you’re using Safari, the file will go to your Downloads folder.
1. Go to http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/ to download the Adobe Flash Player installer.
2. By default, the installer package will be downloaded to your “Downloads” folder.
3. Select the file on your Mac and double click to install it.
4. Select “Allow Adobe to install updates (recommended)” and click “DONE” to complete the installation.
If you installed Adobe Flash Player, but still cannot view online videos on certain websites, you need to check Adobe Flash Player on your browsers.
How to set up Adobe Flash Player on various browsers.
1. Launch Safari and go to the Apple menu bar and click Preferences.
2. Select the Websites tab and select On for “When visiting other websites.”
3. Refresh the browser tab, or restart the browser.
1. Launch Chrome and type chrome://settings/content in the address field.
2. Select “Ask first (recommended)” and turn it on.
3. Refresh the browser tab or restart the browser.
Can You Download Adobe Flash On Mac
1. Launch Opera and go to the Apple menu bar and click Preferences.
2. Select the Websites tab and then select “Allow sites to run Flash”
3. Refresh the browser tab or restart the browser.
1. Launch Firefox and go to the Apple menu bar and click Tools – Add-ons.
2. Click the Plugins tab and turn the “Shockwave Flash” to “Always Activate.”
Note: (SWF (Shock Wave Flash) is a special format created by Macromedia, which has been acquired by Adobe. It is widely used in web design, animation production and other fields.)
For enhancing the user experience and security, Adobe is always trying to improve Adobe Flash Player. However, sometimes when you view a website, a Flash Player upgrade popup appears. Most people would click the “update” button to update their Flash Player, but this could be a false popup used by hackers to compromise your Mac. This is a method hackers use to trick you into downloading adware and malware through a false popup.
Be careful and don’t trust any automatic updates of Adobe Flash Player. Here I will tell you how to install real Flash Player updates and set it up.
How to update Flash Player on Mac safely
1. Go to the Apple menu bar and select System Preferences.
2. Select Flash Player.
3. Select the Updates tab and select “Allow Adobe to install updates (recommended)”. (Note: The Flash plug-in is officially updated 1~2 times a month, so selecting this option avoids frequent update.)
4. You may now notice that the Flash Update settings now shows NPAPI and PPAPI plugins. Let me explain them.
NPAPI – used by Safari, Firefox
PPAPI – used by Chromium, Opera and Chrome (Chrome’s implementation is built in)
5. Click Check Now to confirm that you currently have the latest version installed.
If you had clicked a false popup and downloaded adware, don’t worry, the Apple App Store has many antivirus apps, such as Trend Micro’s Antivirus One, that you can use to do a free scan.
Follow the steps below in case you downloaded a fake Adobe Flash Player.
1. When you first install Antivirus One, click “Pattern Update” to make sure your virus pattern is up to date. We suggest you update the virus pattern every day.
2. After the first installation, we highly suggest you perform a full scan of your Mac to check all files for possible infections. The Full scan will take more than one hour.
3. If you still find adware and a full scan has not found any viruses, we recommend you use Adware Cleaner. You can access Adware Cleaner in the left panel of the Antivirus One window.
How to uninstall Adobe Flash Player
Adobe Flash Player for the Mac is a plug-in, not a Mac OS X application. When you try to uninstall Adobe Flash Player from your Mac, you might find that this plug-in is not so easy to delete. For example, you might see this message:
Cannot find Adobe Flash Player in your Applications folder.
In this case, Adobe Flash Player could not be removed and no reason was given. The following steps show how to uninstall Adobe Flash Player with no remaining parts.
1. Go to the /Applications/Utilities/ folder on your Mac and double-click the Adobe Flash Player Install Manager app.
Adobe Flash Player Download
2. Click Uninstall to begin the process.
3. Type the password and click Install Helper.
Adobe Flash For Mac Os
4. If your browser is running, the following window will appear. Select “Force Close All” to continue.
5. After the uninstaller removes the Adobe Flash software from your Mac, click Done.
Any user/owner of Mac can attest to its efficiency and versatility in handling all sorts of tasks from doing work or school projects, editing, to gaming. While browsing though, you sometimes can’t play a video or animation because Adobe Flash Player for Mac is not updated, disabled, etc.
No worries. We’ll show you how to solve issues concerning your Mac’s Adobe Flash Player installation so you can watch video content with ease.
Installing and Enabling Adobe Flash Player for Mac
To get to the root of any Adobe Flash Player problems, check first if your Mac has an Adobe Flash Player installed. You can check it with Adobe’s official website.
The tool will reveal the status of Adobe Flash Player in your system, e.g. whether it’s pre-installed in your browser and enabled.
The steps in enabling Adobe Flash Player on your Mac depend on your respective browser.
For Safari, which comes along with Mac computers and is the recommended browser, check its version.
Go to Preferences, click the Websites tab and find Adobe Flash Player in the plug-ins section. Tick the box to enable the flash player and from there, choose how you want the plugin to behave in others websites, e.g. whether it will run automatically, ask you first to allow it, or not.
If there’s no plugin, you have to download Adobe Flash Player and close Safari to proceed with the installation.
Other Browsers on Your Mac
If you have Firefox, Chrome and/or Opera installed on your Mac, you can also enable the plugin as you choose it.
For example, Firefox requires you to manually activate the flash player plugin. The same goes with Opera that gives users the option to be asked first if they want Adobe Flash Player to run on a specific website.
Notably, Google Chrome recommends that you run Adobe Flash Player on websites that you trust. This is to prevent security issues that have been detected when using the plugin.